Mr. Bazaar on Instagram!

COPYRIGHT © 2009 - 2012 BRIGHT.BAZAAR

Thursday 14 June 2012

Sneak Peek: Mr. Bazaar's Bedroom

Today I thought it would be fun to share a peek at Mr. Bazaar's bedroom and talk you through the look I created in the space. When I first moved in the room was a dirty magnolia-meets-uber dull beige colour, so clearly I had my paint brushes out before the removal men had delivered the last box! I painted the walls a soft, creamy white to maximise the light from the picture window, before coating the 'fireplace' wall in a chalky Pitch Black by Farrow & Ball. I was amazed at how the addition of black made the space feel so much bigger, breaking it up and adding visual height and interest. I'd highly recommend this colour for a bedroom - so cosy! The inspiration for the scheme came from a papier mache Zebra head that I bought from Anthropologie. It reminded me of a trip to Kenya where I camped out in the Masai Mara many years ago and so I went with it. From there, I started to layer the scheme with accent colours and lashings of comforting texture. I echoed the geometric shapes of my Aperture pendant shade in the tribal-style bedspread from Urban Outfitters. Then, I struck lucky around the time that I deciding the space needed another 'anchor' colour to balance the black. IKEA had just released a limited edition Billy bookcase in yellow and I couldn't believe my luck; it was the perfect piece to pull together the hues from the bedspread and art upon the walls. Plus, yellow and black are one super sexy colour combo. I styled up the space with both store bought and handmade cushions, before finally adding a dash of typographical style in the form of a paper bag from Paris concept store, Merci. So, tell me, what do you think, friends?!
// Photography by Will Taylor | Bedroom elements: Bedspread | Cushion | Vase | Bookcase | Pendant shade | Paint | Bag | Zebra

32 comments:

  1. How cool to get a peek at your bedroom. It's a great mix of color, patterns and textures! Interesting how the addition of black actually opened up the space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it! Super cool!
    A real space done well......
    my favourite!
    Have a great day ;o)
    Tania xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! Feel very lucky to have a peek in your private sanctuary :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! The yellow bookcase and bedspread are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! The pops of color from the bed cover and yellow bookcase are delightful. Thanks for the sneak peek :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. love your bedroom with the black and cream palette with the mix of tribal influence for good measure.
    you UK folks always get the good stuff! I want that yellow billy bookcase and that pendant from habitat! Too bad the voltage won't work in Canada, otherwise I would totally order one from habitat ... I fell in love with one last time when I was in UK.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it looks fantastic will! I love how you've styled your yellow ikea piece. so when do we get the full home tour?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such great style! I really love the bedspread.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Feel very honoured to be invited into your bedroom Will! I have an obsession with ampersands so that cushion might be a must for me. Really love the recycling bag too, what a cool idea. Great bedroom chic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the bookcase from Ikea and the bedspread.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Will, your bedroom is such a perfect reflection of you - such a great balance of fun, colour + style. Love the black wall with the zebra + I love the yellow bookshelf xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Finally a sneak peek:-) I spot the same throw as I have from UO - love it!! And the dark feature wall is perfect to make the colours pop!! I also love the display in your yellow Ikea bookcase:-) Nice way to show off cushions and extra throws.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it Will, thanks for sharing! The black wall is awesome, and it always surprises me how it does make spaces seem larger. You can never go wrong with Farrow & Ball!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah ah ah, I can't stop laughing {..magnolia-meets-uber dull beige colour..}
    Well, you did a great job, I love the ikea yellow cabinet, perfect color contrast!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So very you Will! I love it, especially Mr Zebra :)

    Abbey x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want that bedspread!! Super cool.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the contrast of the black and the pops of colour. Super stylish space!

    ReplyDelete
  18. ooo = love the zebra head above your bed - so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Will, your style is fabulous. I love how you use the cabinet for both linens and magazines. So eclectic!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love all of your choices! The room is fun and colorful, but still there is something quiet and tranquil about it. I could move right in :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. so in love with this! Your black wall, your zebra head (which you know I love)the yellow bookshelf--all sooooo good. Thanks for sharing your most intimate space with us, Will!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really love this. your style is fantastic as usual. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the yellow and black combo. It's a strong signal - warning!!! Love it. I've been ummminh and ahhhhing about the yellow billy bookcase for my nursery.... Definitely a contender.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Of course your bedroom is super chic, we'd expect nothing less! Simply fab Will! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. The yellow billy bookcase is such a great find! I am loving the black wall and that bedspread is fabulous <3 love it, you are such a legend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The yellow bookshelf is the bomb dot com!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love it! How would you describe the black? (if that's not a stupid question?) I've tried a couple but the both had reddish undertones that I didn't like. And did you make your pelmet?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Could this room be anymore you?!! hahaha The people of Ikea probably made that yellow bookcase especially with you in mind ;-) This is very different from my own style but I love how personal your style is and what you've done with the space.

    ReplyDelete
  29. so fun! love your bedroom! The quilt has to be my favorite! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks great! A fin mix of different styles, works together. One idea would be to add an empty frame around the zebra head - like an oval, or square, rather heavy, wooden frame.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - each one makes my day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
window.location.href="http://www.brightbazaarblog.com/?blogger=http://brightbazaar.blogspot.com/2012/06/sneak-peek-mr-bazaars-bedroom.html";